Cheese boards are great appetizers for holiday gatherings! Here’s how you can make a delicious and festive cheese board in just 5 simple steps!
5 Steps to Make a Cheese Board
Step 1: Decide on a Theme
Are you prepping this board for a certain event or everyday use? A theme will help lead the other decisions. Watch the video below to learn how to make a Christmas and New Year’s Eve cheese board.
Step 2: Select the Cheese
Choose 3-5 cheeses (2 -3 oz. per person) with varying texture and flavor. Be sure to include each of the following options:
- Aged-Examples: Aged cheddar, Aged gouda
- Firm- Examples: Fontina, Manchego, Cheddar
- Soft- Examples: Brie, Feta, Delice de Bourgogne
- Cheese Spread- Examples: Quark, pimento
Step 3: Find Perfect Pairings
Perfect pairings should include sweet and savory items.
- Fresh/Dried fruit. Good everyday options are grapes, apples and pears. To give your cheese board a special touch, include seasonal fruits! This time of the year, try dried cranberries or raisins!
- Honey, Jams, Jellies, and other marmalades
- Salami or Prosciutto
- Nuts. Good options include cashews, almonds, and toasted/candied walnuts!
Step 4: Choose a Carb
Choose a high-quality, artisan cracker or crunchy bread to accompany your cheese board!
Step 5: Make a Dynamite Display
Grab your favorite platter, wood cutting board or chalkboard slate and start placing your items! First, place the cheese evenly on the board, and then add the pairings. Depending on your desired look, decorative dishes or glass jars can be used! Once the main elements are set, garnish your board! This time of year you can use greenery or berries to add a festive touch to your plate. A few standard items are fresh herbs, small trinkets, or anything else you have around the house!
Stop into Kalona Creamery and check out our great cheese selection for your next party!